Reading Time: 9 minutes
Coconut is a fruit which belongs to a palm tree family. It is also known as Cocos nucifera. Coconut is famous for its versatile uses in food and cosmetics. The inner coconut pulp is an everyday diet food for people of tropics and subtropics.
The milk is an extract from wet coconut pulp. It is also known as ‘nariyal ka doodh.’ When a coconut is younger, it produces water which is known as a miracle fluid. The coconut water gets converted into the coconut meat after getting mature.
The coconut water has a lot of nutrition which helps whole body metabolism and immune system. The coconut water is the most recommended juice for sick people. The coconut milk provides various benefits for overall health, especially hair.
Growing and maintaining your hair is tricky. To know what is best for your hair is challenging to decide. You may get confused with the availability of different hair products. Also, family and friends suggestion will make your decision hard. Many products promise for longs, thick and shiny healthy hair. The better way is to choose the product or remedy with no chemicals.
The coconut milk is the best way to pamper your hair. It is natural and contains vitamins such as niacin and folate. These vitamins promote blood circulation in the hair scalp.
Coconut Milk Nutritional Value
Coconut milk has lauric acid which is a medium chained fatty acid. It is easy to absorb by the body to produce energy. 1 cup of coconut milk contains the following nutrition.
- Protein – 1.5 grams
- Fat – 14 grams
- Calories – 138
- Sugar – 2 grams
- Phosphorus – 60 milligrams
- Iron – 3.9 milligrams
- Magnesium – 22 milligrams
- Manganese – 0.55 milligrams
- Potassium – 157 milligrams
- Copper – 0.15 milligrams
Coconut contains vitamins such as B1, B3, B5, B6, C, and E. A total fat coconut milk has natural fatty acids. These fatty acid are high in calories. The light coconut milk has low calories. The coconut milk became thinner if the fat removed while straining.
Protein is the main ingredient of hair formation. The reduced protein amount in scalp makes your hair thin. The coconut milk has plenty of protein to improve hair thickness.
The presence of lauric acid in coconut milk fixes hair protein and prevents hair breaking. It also strengthens your hair.
Iron and Vitamin E
The coconut milk has iron and vitamin E which helps to soften your hair. It also brings shine to hair strands and promotes hair growth. It helps to balance the cell membranes integrity of hair follicles. The vitamin E in coconut milk enters the shaft and encourages conditioning.
Coconut milk has a fair amount of magnesium. It nourishes and increases hair growth. Magnesium calms down your nervous system to balance blood pressure. According to research, high blood pressure may affect hair growth and lead to baldness.
Phosphorous increases hair re-growth. The potassium in coconut milk prevents hair loss.
The copper and manganese work on strengthening hair. The peptides help to reverse and stop hair greying. Why because it balances melanin pigment production.
How To Make Coconut Milk?
Prepare the coconut milk at your home for the best hair growth result. The coconut milk is also available in the market such as Dabur Homemade – Coconut Milk and Kara Coconut Milk. But these are prepared for cooking purpose and adding in specific recipes. So, homemade coconut milk is best for hair growth.
To Make Coconut Milk Follows The Steps
- Take a fresh coconut.
- Extract the coconut pulp (the thick white meat inside of coconut shell)
- Make it small pieces and grind a whole coconut by adding half glass of water.
- Grind coconut pulp till it becomes a creamy paste.
- Now take cheesecloth and strain the milk from all paste.
- You can see the coconut paste will become dry powder once all milk gets strain from it.
- It is the pure coconut milk.
Another Recipe To Make Coconut Milk
- Take a shredded coconut in a bowl and add 1 cup warm water and soak it for 2 hours. Do not strain the liquid.
- Add soaked coconut with all water and blend it.
- Strain the liquid and remove the solids.
- You can use it immediately or store in the fridge for 3 – 4 days.
- You may see the fat come up from milk as there is no filter. So stir well before using the coconut milk.
How to use coconut milk for hair growth
The coconut milk is similar to regular cow milk. Here is a way to use coconut milk for fast hair growth.
Apply Coconut Milk Directly
After extracting and making coconut milk, you can apply it directly in your hair. It should reach in hair roots to repair the damaged hair cell. The coconut milk is runny liquid so take a small portion of coconut milk and leave it in your hair.
You can use your hand or a teaspoon also to apply the coconut milk. Later gently massage your scalp and cover your hair with a shower cap.
Seeing hair fall every day is a painful thing to accept. It’s discouraging and demotivating when you look at your hair falling. Woman hair is a most attractive part of the beauty.
Therefore, stop your hair fall quickly and promote hair growth. Generally, you can keep the coconut milk in your hair for 30 minutes to 1 hour. But for fast hair growth, keep the coconut milk whole night. Wash your hair in the next day morning with mild shampoo or hair soap like shikakai soap.
If you are sensitive to cold, then consider applying coconut milk in a sunny daytime. You may experience a headache. A headache may occur due to the heaviness if you have long hair.
Helpful Benefits Of Coconut Milk For Hair Growth
Restore Hair damage
Coconut milk contains exceptional moisturizing properties.
Even it works as medicine for the dry and irritated scalp. Massage your scalp with warm coconut milk for 5 minutes. It will give the overall healthful outcome. Most importantly it is beneficial for restoring dry and damaged hair.
The presence of fat in coconut milk has lauric acid. The lauric acid is responsible for antibacterial and antifungal properties in coconut milk. It helps to stop microbial infections from your scalp and hair. These natural acid properties cleanse the toxic free radicals form scalp. The free radicals harm and weaken the hair cell growth. Coconut milk nourishes and hydrate the scalp skin and prevent infection such as psoriasis. Like this, it benefits hair growth.
The vitamin E and fat component in coconut milk work as a natural moisturizer. It benefits to hydrate and maintain your hair strand from the tip to the roots. The coconut milk’s vitamin E reduce flakiness, dryness, and itchiness of the scalp. It completely restores the excellent moisture levels. The coconut milk treats dandruff problems and does deep conditioning to the hair. It makes hair soft and shiny.
Provide Nourishment Benefits
Coconut milk is a potent source of nutrients which helps to nourish scalp and hair. The presence of iron in coconut milk boost the blood circulation in the scalp. It promotes the nutrients circulation to the hair follicles. These nourishment abilities of coconut milk stimulate strong hair growth and reduce hair fall and split.
Coconut milk massaging your hair and scalp relieves inflammation and rashes in the scalp. It helps to sooth the scalp skin. Coconut milk is a natural detangle for hair. Gently apply and rub coconut milk to remove knots and tangles from tresses immediately.
Remedies Of Coconut Milk For Hair Growth
Damage hair is split ends in your hair. You can see 2 or 3 hair at the end of one hair. Here are the causes of split ends.
- Comb in wet hair causes split ends.
- Over washing your hair also cause split ends. Everyday washing may remove hair’s natural oils.
- The chemical in hair product such as hair dying, hair conditioning causes to strain in the hair and result in split ends.
The present of nutrition in coconut milk repair the damaged hair follicles. It also activates the hair growth. The coconut milk works as an organic conditioner for hair. Specifically coconut milk repair and restore the damaged and brittle hair.
Apply Pure Coconut Milk To Get Rid Of Hair Damage
- Prepare coconut milk as mentioned above and mix few drops of essential oil.
- You can keep this milk in the fridge to thicken.
- Apply the thick creamy coconut milk in your hair and cover your hair with a shower
- Wash after 20 minutes.
Avocado and Coconut Milk Hair Mask
- Take three tablespoons of coconut milk, one teaspoon honey, and 1/2 avocado.
- Mix all together well and wet your hair. Apply this mask by combing your hair from roots to end.
- Wash it after 10 – 30 minutes.
- It helps to nourish your hair thoroughly.
- The number of ingredients depends on the length of your hair.
Coconut Milk And Honey For Conditioning
Honey is a moisture reservoir. Mixing coconut milk with honey can seal the moisture and nourish the hair effectively. Follow the steps to make this conditioner
- Take four tablespoons of coconut milk
- Two teaspoon honey and shower cap.
- Mix honey and coconut milk together.
- Apply the mixture and massage your scalp.
- Leave the application for 2 hours in your hair and wash it thoroughly with mild shampoo.
- You can repeat this hair mask once a week.
Yogurt and Coconut Milk for hair growth
Yogurt and camphor stimulate inactive hair follicles and promote hair re-growth. It increases the proper volume of hair to grow faster.
- Take five tablespoon coconut milk
- One tablespoon Yogurt and 1/4 crushed camphor.
- Mix all ingredients and apply in your hair.
- Wash your hair after two hours
Aloe Vera and Coconut Milk
Mixing coconut milk with Aloe Vera and tulsi provide significant benefits for hair growth. It controls scalp health entirely and prevents irritation and dandruff.
- You will need three tablespoon coconut milk, one tablespoon aloe vera gel and hand full of tulsi leaves.
- Make a smooth paste of aloe vera and tulsi. Mix it in coconut milk.
- Apply the blend to your hair roots and leave it for 30 minutes.
- Wash it after 30 minutes.
Fenugreek (Methi) and Coconut Milk
Fenugreek is a traditional hair care ingredient. Mixing methi powder with coconut milk will provide double benefits. It improves scalp skin damage and enhances hair growth. This remedy makes your hair dandruff free and soft easy to manage.
- Take two tablespoon fenugreek powder and mix it with two tablespoon coconut milk.
- Make a creamlike paste and apply it in your hair.
- Leave the application until 30 minutes and wash it with your regular hair shampoo.
- You can use this twice a week.
Lime Juice and Coconut Milk
Lemon is an essential source for the collagen production. Collagen is a skin protein and connective tissues. The richness of vitamin C in lemon juice helps to boosts the collagen levels. It also increases hair growth.
- Add two tablespoon lime juice in 4 tablespoon coconut milk. Keep it in the refrigerator for 4 hours.
- Adding lemon juice make coconut milk curdled.
- Take it out of the fridge and keep it get the room temperature.
- Apply the curdled paste in your hair and cover with a shower cap to prevent dryness.
- Wash it after 45 minutes.
- You can practice this once a week.
Olive Oil and Coconut Milk
Olive oil with coconut milk acts as a deep conditioning hair remedy. It will make your hair smooth and manageable. Massaging will warm up the mixture and provide excellent penetration. It promotes nutrients into the hair follicles and shafts.
- Take 4 tbsp coconut milk and add 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp Honey.
- Mix all ingredient and heating a pan. Let it cool down, but it should remain slightly warm.
- Massage your scalp with a warm mixture. Wash your hair after an hour.
- You can do this massage once a week.
Egg and Coconut milk
Combining egg proteins with coconut milk increase the scalp nourishment. It also boosts hair growth. It is more helpful for oily hair types.
- You will need 1 Egg white, five tablespoon coconut milk and one tsp vitamin E oil.
- Whisk the egg white until it becomes fuzzy.
- Add coconut milk and whisk again and mix vitamin E oil.
- Apply this hair mask from roots to hair ends. Cover your hair with a shower cap.
- Wash your hair with cold water and shampoo. Avoid washing with hot water because egg may get cooked.
- Try applying once a week.
Remember to choose any one hair mask remedy from the above-listed remedies. Try one; if you face any irritations then change the hair mask.
As per my personal experience with coconut milk, you can also make hair pack with the following hair products.
- Amla powder
- Bringraj powder
- Methi powder
- Bramhi powder
Mix all in coconut milk and make it a slightly runny paste and apply to the scalp and hair till ends. It stops hair fall and increases hair growth.
Another personal tip, I would like to mention is to dry your hair in the morning sunlight. The vitamin D absorption creates new follicles for new hair growth. Don’t forget to apply coconut oil at least once a week. Remaining things you need to maintain a healthy food diet and stress-free lifestyle for good hair.