Glutes exercise is essential for better butts. The glutes are a group of large muscles, such as Gluteus maximus, Gluteus medius, and Gluteus minimus. It plays an active role in supporting your body alignment. Glutes produce power for many movements and prevent you from injuries. It helps especially while running uphill or walking on stairs. If your lifestyle involves prolonged sitting, then your glutes firing will decrease. Inactive glutes can cause lower back pain in people who sit for long hours such as office worker.
Glutes are the place where women and men build up most body fat.
Here are the glutes exercises for the best butts:
Table of Contents
Barbell Hip Thrust
- Let your upper back relax on a bench, extend your legs to sit on the floor.
- Move a weighted barbell on your thighs and make sure the barbell rest on your lap.
- You can keep a towel or mat to comfort your hips.
- Comfortably sits on a pad to support your glutes.
- Make sure your elbow rest and upper back touch the bench just like you are square and aligned below the barbell.
- Breathe deeply through your nose and breath out through your mouth to strengthen your core.
- Uphold your abs and press your heels on the floor to stretch your hips.
- Hold the barbell in both hands and lift your hips until your upper body and thighs form a parallel position on the floor.
- Hang on for a second and come down.
- Make sure your whole body moving as a unit.
- Do not throw your head back and do not hyperextend your spine.
- Keep your ribs down all time.
Dumbbell Deficit Reverse Lunge
- Take a pair of a dumbbell in your hands and stand straight with your feet together.
- Keep some space behind you, at least a few feet away from your exercise point.
- Now start the exercise, bend your knees by holding the dumbbell, keep your chest out and head up.
- Take back step your right leg and land on the foot’s ball.
- Lower yourself by bending your both knees to the floor.
- Step back far enough, and your front knee should be behind your toes at the bottom.
- Stretch your knees when your front thigh is parallel with the ground.
- Let your hips stand back up to the start point.
- Repeat this with other legs.
Walking One-Leg Romanian Deadlift
- Take a pair of a dumbbell in both hands.
- Get in Split stance pose by taking left leg forward.
- By keeping your knee slightly curved, flex at the hips to the distance as far as you can do. While doing this don’t lose arch in your lower back.
- As you begin the next step forward, make your torso straight by firing your glutes.
Bulgarian Split Squat
- It’s the best compound exercise for better butts. This exercise target more than one muscle. Compound workout helps to gain maximum strength size.
- To do this exercise, hold a bar on the backside of your shoulder.
- Let your top of left foot rest on the bench behind you and so that your knee back able to bent 90 degrees.
- Bend your right knees and hips to lower your body till your back touch to the floor.
- Keep your torso straight.
- You can also hold dumbbells instead of a barbell.
Sumo Romanian Deadlift
- Stand and keep your feet wider than shoulder width with toes set out about 15 degrees.
- Bend your hips backward and let your knees move as much as you need while gripping the bar at shoulder width.
- Take your lower back in its natural arch and move your hips front to lift the bar to complete.
- To start after each rep, move your hips backward and lower the bar slowly to mid-leg levels.
- Don’t bend your knees more to do a deadlift.
- The deadlift movement should ultimately come from hips.
Barbell Glutes Bridge
- Rest on your back and expand your legs on the floor.
- Roll the barbell upward your thighs till the bar come over your lap.
- You can use a towel on hips or attach a pad to the barbell for support.
- Uphold your abs and move your heels into the ground to stretch your hips.
- Rear your hips to align with your torso.
- Slide the barbell over your body and start the glutes bridges.
You can do squat exercise in a squat cage or rack. It is the best exercise to focus on Maximus which is the most significant muscle of the lower body. Squat not only works for glutes but also shapes your hips, calves, thighs, and core. The squat can staple with necessary lower body exercise. If your knees get hurt, you can try alternative methods of the squat.
- Stand on your feet and keep your hip apart, with continued intensity, hold bar or dumbbell to your shoulder level or hold at your sides.
- Bend and lower your knees to do a squat.
- Keep the knees behind your toes and hold your butt out back you.
- Keep your body engaged and straight.
- Do 2 to 3 sets of 8-16 reps.
This workout strengthens your hip abductors like gluteus medius. It helps to reduce hip injury and lower back pain.
- Lay down on your side.
- Let your arms bend under head or neck for comfort.
- Another hand should remain outside of the hip for support.
- Keep your torso straight down to your knees.
- Make your knees bent with legs at 45-degree angle and put your feet together.
- Spread your knees as far as you can do by keeping your body and feet stable.
- You can repeat the workout as many reps as you wish.
- Repeat the same for another side.
Suspension Trainer Single-Leg Glutes Bridge
If you travel and don’t get the time for the gym, then suspension trainer exercise can help you to get better butts. The suspension trainer is a strength training tool of rope and web. It is a portable tool, and you can take it anywhere to maintain your fitness levels. It can be the best workout for beginner to high-level of the lifter.
- To do this exercise, connect the suspension trainer to firm hanging object.
- Increase the length of one handle to knee height.
- Lie down on your back and put your left foot heel in the cradle. Flex your left knee at 90 degrees and stretch your right foot on the ground.
- Engage your abs and glutes to bridge your hips above the floor.
- At the same time move your right foot upward until it aligns to your left thigh.
Suspension Trainer Bulgarian Split Squat
Your exercise setup will be same as you did in single foot Glutes Bridge. But there are some different techniques you need to use.
- Stand in the opposite direction from suspension trainer.
- Place your left leg in foot cradle in your backside.
- Maintain your right foot to upward knee length in front of the suspension trainer.
- Bend your hips and knees to get your body down. Maintain this effort until you touch the floor.
- If you are unable to balance, then you can hold anything around for safety.
- Keep your torso straight and don’t bend over.
Suspension Trainer Glutes-Bridge
- Keep your setup as you did for single leg Glutes Bridge.
- Place your feet in the cradles.
- Push by your heels to lift your hips.
- Lie down on your belly and facedown and keep your arms at your sides.
- Press your glutes and lift your torso and legs together, so only your hips touch the ground.
- Try to position your arms as if you are going to touch your feet.
- Hold this position at the top for a second and get back to the starting point, thus your shoulder touches the floor.
Feet-on-Ball Hip Thrust
- Lie down on your back with face up.
- Place your feet on the exercise ball.
- Twist your knees at 90 degrees.
- Uphold your abs to push through your heels to move your hips upward till it aligned with your trunk.
Butterfly Hip Thrust For Better Butts
- Keep a Swiss ball against a wall.
- Lie down on the ball to get support for the upper back.
- Your butt is in front of the ball hanging above the ground.
- Put your feet sole together and let them rest on the floor.
- Push your knees out and brace your abs and move your feet into the floor level.
- Move your hips upward till they aligned with your torso.
Swiss Ball Wall Squat
- Keep the swiss ball next to a wall and stand with your back facing it.
- Hold the ball with your lower back. The ball should stay between the wall and your body back.
- Keep your feet width to shoulder size and move your toes out around 15 degrees.
- Start to squat and go down as low as you feel comfortable.
- Inhale while going down and exhale while coming upward.
- Keep rolling ball from upper back to your hips while doing the squat.
Reverse Back Extension
This exercise is also known as Reverse Hyperextension. It supports and strengthens lower back muscles.
- Keep the ball on the floor and lie on the ball with your upper body.
- Keep hands on the floor and compress your glutes.
- Move your legs upward slowly to your torso level.
Single-Leg Glutes Bridge
- Lie down on your back.
- Put your right heel on the floor and stretch your left leg.
- Uphold your abs and engage your glutes in bridging your hips upside of the floor.
- Keep lifting left leg upward till it aligned with your right thigh.
Cook Hip Lift
- Lie on your back with face up.
- Lift your left knee upward to your chest and hold your shin.
- Bend your right leg and keep your foot on the ground near to your butt.
- Push through the center of your foot and press your glutes as your hips up to bridge.
- The hips will not go high till your hamstrings begin to stretch tight.
- You may wish to keep the pressure on your glutes instead.
Single-Leg Romanian Deadlift
- By standing on your right foot, push your left leg backward as far as possible until your hips rise.
- As you push your leg, your upper body and knees bend front side, and your both hand should hang till your foot as if you are going to touch your feet.
- Another option you can hold a ball or dumbbells in your hands.
- Continue to bend down your torso and press your glutes to come up.
- If you feel unbalanced while going down, do it slowly.
Reverse Table-Up Workout
- Sit on the floor comfortably and put your both hands under shoulders.
- Your hand’s fingers should point toward the front side of you.
- Put your feet to shoulder’s width and press your glutes.
- Drive over your heels as you bridge your hips upward.
- Make your hips and torso parallel to the floor and make sure your body is forming a table shape
- Hold this position for 2 seconds.
- A beginner can do this work out slowly.
Benefits of Glutes Exercises for Better Butts
Glutes workout helps the beauty and functional goals for your body. The main advantage includes a pair of beautiful butts and healthy leg movement. Regular glutes exercise help to strengthen your lower back muscles and prevents you from back injuries. Like this way glutes workout contributes to a toned body.
You body depend on your butts muscles for many activities such as climbing stairs, lifting legs. Having delicate tissue of the buttocks can make you tired.
If you had any glutes injury or pain then taking expert advice is a good idea before starting the workout.