The walls covering the vagina stay lubricated normally due to the presence of a thin liquid. Estrogen hormone is responsible for maintaining the liquid and ensuring that the vagina is healthy and remain elastic. The decline in the level of estrogen among women is the main reason for the vaginal dryness. The decrease in the level of estrogen among woman may lead to the reduction in the moisture. During the decrease in the estrogen levels, the women may also face with the thinning of the vaginal lining, the vagina color changes to light pink or even bluish in color, and the reduction in elasticity takes place. The main reason for the fall in estrogen levels is due to the approaching of the menopause. Estrogen is a very important hormone produced by the ovaries. It is responsible for the development of the body of a woman.
Most of the women face the issue of vaginal dryness between the ages of 46 to 55 as this is the age when they reach menopause. The age in which a woman approaches her menopause may vary from the other woman. The severity of symptoms that may occur among women also varies.
Causes of Vaginal Dryness
The main reason for the cause of vaginal dryness is the fall in the estrogen level that is caused when a woman approaches menopause. The other reasons for the fall in estrogen level are:
- Delivering a child and breastfeeding
- Removal of the ovaries through surgery
- Treatment of uterine fibroids by using anti estrogen medication
- Use of allergy, cold medications and antidepressants
- Lack of foreplay before the sexual intercourse is another reason for the decrease in the estrogen level
Symptoms of Vaginal Dryness
Apart from the vaginal dryness, the other symptoms associated with the vaginal dryness or itching of the vagina, irritation in the vagina, and pain while having a sexual intercourse or while urinating. Apart from the vaginal symptoms, hot flashes, night sweats, mood changes, fatigue, urinary tract infection, acne, memory related issue and unwanted growth of hair are the symptoms of the vaginal dryness.
If a woman is suffering from itchy, dryness or pain while having a sexual intercourse, then it is enough to assume that the woman is suffering from vaginal dryness. An examination from a doctor is advised to make sure that the woman is suffering from the vaginal dryness.
Treatment of Vaginal Dryness
The treatments involved for vaginal dryness are:
Hormone therapy: It is one of the effective ways for treating the vaginal dryness. It is also known as hormone replacement therapy. It helps in treating both the hot flashes and dryness of the vagina. Studies have shown that women who have used to have oral estrogen and progesterone are more susceptible to heart attacks, strokes, and breast cancer. The woman who had used only oral estrogen only may have an increased chance of being stroked. The hormone therapy is carried out by using patches or through sprays that get absorbed by the skin. If a woman is ready to use the hormone therapy, then she must make sure that she is ready for the risks involved in this procedure.
Vaginal treatments: In this method, application of vaginal ring and vaginal cream in the vagina is carried out. These treatments can be very effective for treating vaginal dryness without damaging the tissues in the body. Use of vaginal moisturizers like creams and lotion and the use of lubricants during a sexual intercourse can help reduce the discomfort associated with vaginal dryness.
- Have sex with your partner on a regular basis. You can use any sort of lubricant like baby oil. Engaging yourself in sex will not only benefit you mentally or physically it will also increase the elasticity of your vagina and make it moist
- If you want, you can use the natural ways of treating the vaginal dryness. Buy a Vitamin E tablet from a drug store, prick it and apply the content of the tablet on your vagina. You must have lots of tea and Vitamin C as having liquids and vitamin C will keep not only the vagina, but your whole body hydrated
- Avoid use of vaginal sprays. Use of vaginal sprays increases the chances of vaginal dryness
- You must avoid the use of antihistamines as this medicine dries of the body completely. You must try to find another alternative for treating your allergy
- Avoid wearing tight clothing and wear only loose clothing
- Try to add soy as part of your meal. Drink soymilk instead of the regular milk. Use of soy supplement like estrogen is also a good remedy for treating the vaginal dryness
Vaginal dryness is a consequence of menopause. It may not have any detrimental effect on one’s health apart from the discomfort caused to one’s body. There are methods that can be used for treating the vaginal dryness like hormone therapy. The use of this therapy is based on the patient. You must make sure that you are ready for the facing the side effects of this treatment. There are some precautionary measures, which if followed can help you in preventing the vaginal dryness. Having regular sex, avoiding the use of tight clothing like spandex shorts, avoiding the use of vaginal sprays and certain soaps that affect the moisture of the vagina, use of soy milk, use of vitamins and having lots of water can help in preventing the vaginal dryness. Diet plays a very important role in the production of estrogen. Estrogen is produced from the fats that we consume through our meals hence, it is important to have the right kind of fats in our meal. Certain drugs also can lead to the dryness of the vagina. Therefore, these medicines must be avoided. Vaginal dryness can be due to the hormonal imbalance that a woman might face. Stress and emotions also play an important role in the vaginal dryness. You must avoid stress for a moist and healthy vagina.