Knee pain is a normal ailment occurs when you are aging or used it over. It is a medical condition which happens when you have a frequent tear and wear in your knee joints. Women are more likely to get knee joint pain than men.
The knee pain may change and depend on the reason for knee pain. Pain can happen in any part of the bony structure such as tibia, femur, and fibula. It can also occur due to the weakening of ligaments, cartilage, and kneecap.
The sharpness of knee pain can range from minor, sever and total disabling pain.
Causes of Knee Pain
Table of Contents
Knee pain doesn’t occur during any single cause. You may feel temporary knee pain due to injuries which goes away with medication
If you are suffering from a chronic knee problem, then you may feel the pain due to conditions including:
- Osteoarthritis: It is knee joint problem cause swelling, inflammation, and pain in the knees.
- Tendinitis: It is a type of knee pain which occurs during the movement of front knees such as climbing the stairs.
- Bursitis: It is an inflammation of occurring in knee joints. It occurred by overuse repeated injury.
- Chondromalacia patella: A damage of your cartilage below the kneecap.
- Gout: An increased level of uric acid in the entire body cause arthritis problem.
- Baker’s cyst – It is an accumulated synovial fluid back side of the knee.
- Rheumatoid arthritis – It is an autoimmune disease which causes swelling and pain in the injured joint. Most of the time it leads to bone erosion.
- Meniscus tear: A rupture of one or recurring cartilages of your knee and it can cause you pain.
- Torn ligament: It is a tear in the ligaments of knees.
- Another cause is bone tumors which grow near your knee.
Here are effective natural remedies to ease the knee pain.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar helps to reduce knee pain. You can consume it or directly apply to your painful knees. It provides acetic acid that limits the inflammation and decreases the swelling and pain in the affected knee area.
- 2-teaspoons of apple cider vinegar
- Warm water – 1 glass
- Add apple cider vinegar in water and mix it well.
- You can consume this solution every day before your meals.
- You can also apply apple cider vinegar by mixing with one tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Use this remedy two times every day.
You can use cayenne pepper as a natural remedy for treating knee joint pain. The cayenne pepper contains capsaicin which works as a natural pain reliever by providing effects of analgesic and inflammation reducing effects.
- Cayenne pepper – 3 tablespoons
- Olive oil – 1 cup
- Grated beeswax – half cup
- A double boiler
- A glass jar with lid
- Combine three tablespoons of cayenne pepper to one cup of olive oil.
- Heat in a double boiler on medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Mix half a cup of grated beeswax while stirring.
- Keep stirring until the mix become smooth, and the beeswax gets melted completely.
- Cool down this mixture and keep in the refrigerator for 10 minutes and later whisk it again.
- Let it chill for another 15 minutes and one more time whisk the mix.
- It will look similar to a balm which you need to transfer in the lid jar and keep in the refrigerator.
- Apply this homemade Cayenne pepper balm on knee pain.
- You can apply this balm multiple times in a day to relieve the pain.
Ginger is an amazing natural remedy for knee pain. It helps people with osteoarthritis problem. Ginger contains natural compounds such as gingerol which provide strong analgesic and anti-inflammatory effects to reduce the pain.
According to the study of the year 2000, the ginger extract provides similar pain relieving effective benefits. The research 2016 discovered that echinacea and ginger supplement consumption work effectively to reduce the pain and inflammation after knee surgery.
- Ginger – 1 inch
- Water – 1 cup
- Boil the ginger in the cup of water and simmer for five minutes.
- Strain the solution and let it cool down.
- Take a clean washcloth and dip it in the ginger water and keep it on the affected part of your knee.
- Wrap out the soaked cloth on your knee and let it work.
- You can also consume ginger tea every day to reduce knee pain symptoms.
Turmeric contains a major component. It is a potent anti-inflammatory synthesis. It was found to alleviate symptoms of joint pain and inflammation in multiple studies owing to its anti-inflammatory properties.
Turmeric can be helpful for arthritis knee pain. Apart from anti-inflammatory synthesis, it provides COX-2 inhibitors. COX-2 is an essential enzyme which can reduce the symptoms of swelling, pain, and inflammation.
- Turmeric -1 teaspoon
- Almond milk or coconut – 1 glass
- Combine a glass of warm milk with a teaspoon of turmeric and mix it well.
- Consume the turmeric milk every day.
- You can also use the turmeric paste on the painful knee parts.
Lemon provides natural benefits to ease knee pain. As lemon contains anti-inflammatory qualities, it helps to decrease the pain, inflammation, and swelling.
Lemon Remedy 1:
- Lemon – 1
- Sesame oil – 1 tablespoon
- Squeeze the lemon juice and add it in a tablespoon of sesame oil.
- Topically apply this mix over your pain areas of the knee.
- Keep it for at least 30 to 40 minutes.
- Do this as you need.
- You can also consume lemon juice every day to speed up the recovery.
Lemon Remedy 2:
Not only lemon juice but lemon peel also beneficial for joint pain. You will need to mix it with eucalyptus leave and extra virgin olive oil. It is an effective therapy for knee pain and improves the condition in a short time.
What do you need?
- One cup of extra virgin olive oil
- Large lemon – 2
- Eucalyptus leaves – 5
- One jar with lid
- Clean gauze bandages – 2
- Plastic wrap
- Take out the lemon peel and eucalyptus leaves. Cut the both in small pieces.
- Mix the lemon peel pieces with olive oil and add it in a lidded jar.
- Cover the jar and keep it for two weeks in a dark place.
- Later, when the lemon and eucalyptus get dissolved, dip a gauze bandage in the mix and put on knees.
- Now totally cover the bandage with plastic wrap and woolen
- Do this remedy three times a week.
Olive oil contains an active ingredient called polyphenols such as tyrosol, hydroxytyrosol, oleuropein, and oleocanthal. These all synthesis provide strong anti-inflammatory effects which amazingly helps to treat the joint pain.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Take some olive oil in your palm and do the massage on the knee part where you feel the pain.
- Let it evaporate in the skin. You can also leave the oil for 30 minutes and wash it.
- You can do this remedy for 3 to 4 times every day for a good result.
Use coconut oil for reducing knee pain and inflammation. Coconut oil also provides the effects of analgesic and anti-inflammation.
Coconut oil is best for consuming and provide different health benefits. It works to reduce the inflammation of joints and muscles.
According to the study issued in the Journal of Pharmaceutical-Biology found that virgin coconut oil gives anti-inflammation effects. As it comprises high lauric acid, coconut oil helps to lower the inflammation and pain.
Some studies discovered that coconut oil is more effective similar to Indomethacin which is well-known pain medication.
Apart from treating temporary pain, coconut oil also helpful for arthritis pain.
Coconut oil is easily available at low cost and can be an alternative treatment for any other remedy.
- Take extra virgin coconut oil
- It is a simple natural remedy to ease knee Take some coconut oil and apply it on your knees.
- Let it absorb for the 30 minutes in the skin and wash it.
- You can do multiple times a day.
Another natural remedy for knee pain is fenugreek seeds. Fenugreek or methi is a well-known kitchen ingredient in Indian. It provides a strong flavor in many recipes. Fenugreek also provides a wide range of health benefits. It provides anti-inflammatory, antioxidants, and liver protecting benefits. Additionally, fenugreek can be a good ingredient for joint pain.
- Fenugreek seeds – 2 teaspoons
- Water – One glass
- Soak one teaspoon fenugreek seeds overnight in one glass water.
- Next morning strains the water and consumes it.
- You can also make a paste of soaked fenugreek seeds and apply it on affected knees parts.
- Use this remedy every day for faster results.
Eating dandelion leaves regularly provide relief to your knee pain at a high level. Dandelion leaves also contain strong qualities which reduce inflammation.
Remedy #1: Dandelion leave
- Dandelion leaves – 10-12
- Water – 1 glass
- After taking good quality dandelion leaves, wash it properly.
- In one glass of water boil the dandelion leaves and simmer it for five minutes. Then cool down and strain it.
- Mix one teaspoon honey in the strained dandelion leave extract and drink.
- You can also include dandelion leaves in your favorite smoothie and juice.
- You need to consume dandelion leave one or two times every day for the best result.
Remedy #2: Dandelion oil
Apart from dandelion leaves, you can use dandelion oil. The dandelion oil may be available in some places, but you can also prepare it at home. It can be the best ingredient to relieve knee pain and sore muscles.
How to make dandelion oil?
- Add a handful of dandelion flowers in a jar and fill the full jar with olive oil or almond oil. Keep it in sunlight for two to three days.
- Wait until the flowers get brown in the color and strain the leaves.
- Then you get the oil, keep it in a dark and cool place. Try massaging your knees with this oil every day.
Remedy #3: Dandelion Tea
Dandelion tea contains rich vitamin C and vitamin A. These vitamins are essential for repairing damaged tissues and producing a new cell. It is a traditional way of treating knee pain by using dandelion roots.
Often old injuries also cause knee joint pain which has not healed correctly. However, it is the best treatment for healing old injuries knee pain.
How to make Dandelion tea?
- It is a simple remedy, make dandelion tea by using a handful of leaves.
- Boil it till you see the extract and strain it.
- Let it cool down before drinking. As the tea has a bitter taste, you can add some sugar in it.
- It is an excellent detoxing drink which prevents blood cells and other body inflammation. Slowly it will reduce the pain.
Mustard oil is an effective natural remedy for knee joint pain. It reduces inflammation in the inner parts of affected joints.
Mustard oil is not allowed by the FDA for eating as it contains erucic acid which is a fatty acid and not good for heart health. However, mustard oil can be a good and safe option for massage. This oil is widely used in India and didn’t show any side effects.
- You need Mustard oil
- Take some mustard oil in your palms and massage it directly onto the affected knee.
- Do massage as you feel necessary.
- You can also combine a clove of chopped garlic to the mustard oil.
You can also massage your knees two times every day by using mustard oil. Adding garlic in mustard oil provide complete relief to your knee pain. Take two tablespoons chopped garlic and fry it mustard oil till it gets burn out.
Strain the oil and let its temperature come to normal warm. Then gently massage your knees on affected parts. It will reduce the shooting pain and swelling in knees.
1: Peppermint Oil
Peppermint oil helps to relieve knee pain. It contains menthol which fights against inflammation and reduces the knee pain.
- Peppermint oil – 7 drops of
- Coconut oil -1 teaspoon
- Mix both the oil and directly apply it on the affect knee parts.
- Add seven drops of peppermint oil to a teaspoon of coconut oil.
- Mix well and apply it directly to the affected area.
- Reapply as you feel comfortable and relief.
Manage knee joint pain naturally with Frankincense Oil. Frankincense also called olibanum. It is produced from the resin of Boswellia tree which is usually grown in dry environments such as mountainous regions of Africa, India and the Middle East.
Frankincense oil has a spicy and woody aroma and can be safe to inhale and absorbed by the skin.
It is a popular ayurvedic medicine from hundred years. Frankincense rises to cure the many health benefits such as digestion, asthma, oral health, and arthritis. It can also help to prevent different types of cancer.
- Frankincense oil – 7 drops
- Coconut oil – one teaspoon
- Mix frankincense oil and coconut oil and directly apply it on affected knee areas. Let it dry on its own.
- Repeat as you need.
Epsom Salt Soak
As Epsom salt contains sulfate and magnesium, it provides strong qualities to relieve knee pain. Magnesium is the best mineral to decrease the inflammation in your body at a high level.
- Epsom salt – 1 cup
- Mix one cup of Epsom salt in the bathing tub filled with water. You can also add frankincense or peppermint oil and soak your knees. Wait for 20 to 30 minutes for best results. You can follow this remedy everyday one time.
Tai chi is a traditional Chinese form of exercise for mind-body that improves flexibility and balance.
According to a study published in Arthritis-and-Rheumatism, researchers discovered that practicing tai chi is especially helpful for people with osteoarthritis. It lowers pain and develops a range of motion. The mental discipline helps to learn to cope with chronic pain.
Cold and Hot Packs
Try using a combination of cold and hot packs provide quick relief to knee pain. It also reduces the inflammation and swelling in the knees. Ice pack works to numb the affected part, and at the same time, the hot pack activates the blood circulation in the knees.
- A hot pack
- A cold pack
- Keep hot water pack on affect knees and follow up with the cold pack. Place every pack for at least five minutes before replacing it.
- You can replace three times each pack.
- Keep doing 3-4 times every day as you feel comfortable.
Add plenty of fresh fruits to get necessary vitamins such as vitamin D and C which is important to relieve the chronic pain of knee joints. Vitamin D is essential for enhancing bone health and vitamin C work for collagen production which is a vital protein for the health of knee tendons.
You can consume cheese, milk, eggs, poultry, broccoli, citrus fruits, spinach in your daily food intakes to get all vitamins and minerals.
Neem Leaves and Oil
Neem is a famous natural treatment for many health problems. It is a well-known ancient herbal remedy for treating pain including knee pain.
- Take a handful of neem leaves
- Boil the neem leaves in water till you see the extract.
- Strain the neem water and drink one portion of it.
- Consume this neem extract after every meal to heal the knee pain naturally.
- Apart from treating knee pain, it will help to lower the swelling and redness in the knee joints.
Neem oil is another natural cure for using outer parts for knee joint pain. It is useful for treating stiff knee pain fast. You can take the neem oil from herbal product stores. You can directly use the neem oil on the affected knee ingredients without heating.
- Use neem oil with the relief of a cotton ball on the knee.
- Do not massage or rub the knees and leave it for some time.
- Do this remedy for a few days till you see the reduction in pain.
Willow is a different type of bark, and white willow tree is one of them. It contains pain relieving agents equal to aspirin. From ancient time, it is used as chewing directly for relieving pain.
- Willow bark – one teaspoon
- Water – 8 ounces.
- Boil the willow bark in water and wait till extract is visible.
- Let it cool down and filter the tea by straining it.
- Take the willow tea slow and at a moderate level.
- Avoid taking an excess dose which can cause side effects.
It is another natural remedy for treating knee joint pain. You can make chamomile tea and consume it for reducing the pain. It is the best source of terpenoids and flavonoids which assist in relieving knee pain and soothing muscles.
- You can directly message your knees with chamomile oil. It is an external way of treating knee pain.
- Another way, make chamomile tea and consume for treating knee pain from inside.
Apart from beauty uses aloe vera can be a natural remedy for treating knee joint pain. It contains immunomodulatory and anti-inflammatory qualities. It also has anthraquinones which beneficial for treating rheumatoid arthritis knee pain.
- Aloe vera gel
- You can directly apply the aloe vera gel on knees joints. Also, add some turmeric in the gel and use the mix, then cover a bandage on your knees to hold it warm.
Exercise and weight control
Regular exercise to maintain the joint moving decreases knee pain in some people. For those with arthritis, having the leg stationary or decreasing the range of motion to limit the pain can thicken the joint and make things worse. Being overweight can increase the difficulty as well, so weight control is important.
These all-natural remedies can help to reduce joint pain. As the knee joint pain varies from person to person according to their health, you can pick any one natural remedy and try. Some remedy doesn’t show any result because it depends on your health.
Before you try any natural remedy or health supplement, make sure to check with your doctor and discuss your health history. If you are already on some medication such as blood pressure, diabetes then does take care because the medication can interact with natural ingredients and cause side effects.