Lemon is great for many health purposes. It works wonder for hair growth when used with care and caution. It is a famous citrus fruit, including vitamin C, which supports the immune system and decreases inflammation. Lemon also helps as a bleaching agent, which is the reason it combined in several skincare and cleaning products.
Lemon is the most useful ingredient for hair when applied topically. It reduces dandruff, extra oil in the scalp, and increase shining in hair.
Is lemon work for hair growth?
Table of Contents
Yes, lemon is a well-known ingredient for growing hair. Lemon fruit contains plenty of vitamin C, which helps to increase collagen production and ensure hair growth. The acidic quality of lemon helps to unclog the hair follicles and stimulate hair roots. Lemon juice also controls hair loss and works efficiently for hair growth.
For example, telogen effluvium (TE) is a type of hair loss, which induce the traumatic event or stress in life. A major disruption in the life of live separation or bereavement causes uncontrollable hair loss.
If the condition occurs for more than 6-months, then its describe as chronic telogen effluvium. There are, in fact, many other factors, which can lead to TE. For example, childbirth, pregnancy, and chronic disease can cause TE. Therefore, any hair fall practice in such cases will depend on the medical expert, who will guide the right treatment. But it is not a continual condition and can be managed with proper care and treatment. Then there is something known female baldness pattern. The bad news is that it comes hereditary, but it can be controlled by proper care.
Use of Lemon for Hair Growth
Lemon Juice Remedy for Hair Growth
This treatment works admirably for individuals with oily hair. It gives your scalp a collagen help, which, thus, impacts hair development.
You Will Need
- Squeeze the lemon juice from the fresh lemon in a bowl.
- Massage this juice for 5 minutes on your scalp and keep it for an additional 10 minutes.
- Then wash your hair with mild shampoo without sulfate and do conditioning.
- If you are sensitive to lemon’s acidic content, then combine it with coconut oil.
- Avoid going in sunlight after using lemon juice because it will bleach the hair.
- Do this remedy once in a week.
Lemon Shampoo for Hair Growth
The lemon shampoo hair pack is excellent for people with gray hair for increasing hair growth. This pack contains henna, which is a natural hair dye and maintains scalp health. It lowers the premature hair graying and dandruff.
You Will Need
- 5-tbsp pure henna powder
- 1-cup of warm water
- 1-whole egg
- 1/2 lemon
- Mix henna powder, water water, egg in a bowl, and make a thick paste.
- Squeeze lemon juice in this paste and mix.
- Apply this paste in your hair and scalp and leave it to get dry. It may take 1-4 hours.
- Later wash your hair with cool water.
- Use this lemon remedy for hair once in a month.
Lemon Juice with Coconut Water
Coconut water is most suitable for getting antioxidant properties. It helps to inhibit oxidative damage in hair.
You Will Need
- One tablespoon – lemon juice
- One tablespoon – coconut water
- Mix equal portions of lemon juice with coconut water in a bowl.
- Massage this blend into your scalp and hold it for 20 minutes.
- Rinse your hair with a gentle shampoo without including sulfate.
- Use this hair pack once in a week.
Lemon With Olive Oil and Castor Oil For Hair Growth
Unscientific evidence recommends that castor oil can promote hair growth. Combining olive oil helps to repair hair damage, lower breakage, and improve hair health.
You Will Need
- 2 -tablespoons olive oil
- 1 – tablespoon castor oil
- 4-5 drops lemon essential oil
- Mix all the hair pack ingredients in a bowl and warm the oil till it gets slightly warm.
- Keep the oil in hair for an additional 30 minutes.
- Wash your hair using a mild and sulfate-free shampoo.
- Use this lemon remedy 2-3 times in a week.
Lemon Rinse for Growing Hair
Washing hair thoroughly with lemon juice helps to cleanse the scalp, strengthen hair follicles, and promote collagen.
You Will Need
- 1 – tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 – cups of water
- Mix one tablespoon of lemon juice with 2-cups of water in a jug and keep aside.
- Wash hair using sulfate-free shampoo and apply conditioner.
- Avoid washing hair after conditioning.
- Use this lemon rinse remedy once in a week.
Lemon Juice and Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is best for conditioning ingredients, which improve the scalp health from antimicrobial properties.
You Will Need
- 2 – tablespoons pure aloe vera gel
- 1 – tablespoon lemon juice
- Combine the lemon juice with aloe vera gel in a bowl.
- Apply this lemon cure on scalp and hair and spread totally.
- Keep the lemon pack for 30 minutes in hair and wash with a gentle shampoo (without sulfate).
- You can apply this cure 1-2 times each week.
Honey and Lemon Hair Mask
Honey using olive oil helps to seal the moisture in the hair shaft. It also helps to lower dandruff. Include rosemary essential oil, which soothes the scalp and increase hair growth. This hair pack helps to increase the smoothness and hair volume.
You Will Need
- 1-tablespoon lemon juice
- 2-teaspoons olive oil
- 2-tablespoons honey
- 3-4 drops of rosemary essential oil
- Combine lemon juice, olive oil, honey, and rosemary essential oil.
- Use this mixture over scalp and hair till hair gets fully covered.
- Leave this hair mask for 20 minutes and wash the hair using a without sulfate cleanser.
- Apply this lemon juice treatment once in seven days.
Lemon juice + henna + fenugreek
This mask is good for scalp health. It helps to rejuvenate the scalp and prevent flakiness.
- Fenugreek seeds
- Hibiscus petals
- Henna leaves
- One teaspoon buttermilk
- 3-tablespoon lemon juice
- Grind the soaked fenugreek seeds, hibiscus petals, and henna and make a paste. Include buttermilk and lemon juice.
- Use this blend with hair and scalp. Wash your hair after 30 minutes.
Lemon juice + vinegar
This remedy is an excellent exfoliator for the scalp. Exfoliating scalp helps to promote hair growth.
Combine the equal quantity of lemon juice and white vinegar.
Massage this blend on the scalp with for some minutes, wait for some 15 minutes and then wash with a mild shampoo.
Lemon Juice + Camphor Oil + Coconut Oil
This lemon use is best for hair spa and hair growth.
- One tsp lemon juice
- 3 tsp coconut oil
- Few drops of camphor
- Heat the coconut oil lightly and mix with lemon and camphor.
- For the spa, you can cover the hair with a warm towel and keep it for 15 minutes. Then clean hair with a mild shampoo.
Lemon Juice & Apple Cider Vinegar
This lemon juice hair mask helps to regular oil in scalp and hair.
- Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- Mix both the ingredients and apply them over your scalp.
- Keep this blend in hair for 20 minutes to let the content absorb in the scalp.
- Then wash your hair and scalp with water.
Lemon juice + ACV + Fuller’s earth
Apple cider vinegar provides vitamin C, B, and acetic acid, which make hair bouncier and stronger. The vitamin C presence fight against free radicals. Vitamin B helps to increase blood circulation. Acetic acid can boost the hair damaged from harmful germs, chemicals, and bacteria.
- Lemon juice
- Fuller’s earth
- Apple cider vinegar
Gently mix the fuller’s earth, lemon juice, and apple cider vinegar. Prepare a thick paste and apply it in hair. Wash the mix after 30 minutes or one hour.
Is lemon juice fight dandruff?
Yes, lemon juice helps to benefits the dandruff problem. It works effectively from citric acid and restore the normal scalp pH balance and increase hair growth and prevent white flakes. Furthermore, the astringent effect of lemon juice helps to balance the sebum levels in the scalp and prevent itchiness. It also prevents the dry and greasy texture causing dandruff.
It is essential to know the reason for dandruff. Seborrheic dermatitis is the common cause of dandruff. Generally, it is a red rash, itchy substances with yellow or white flakes, which affect the scalp, but also experience on face and torso. Seborrheic dermatitis is also related to a fungus known as Malassezia, which can be present in the scalp. They normally feast on oils generated by hair follicles. So, by managing this oil, lemon can help in lowering dandruff. Also note dandruff can be occurred by other factors such as stress, improper diet, and overgrowth of the body.
Here are some lemon uses for lowering dandruff and promoting hair growth
Lemon juice + flaxseeds
Soak a few flaxseeds with water the entire night. Combine 2 cups of water to boil the flaxseeds in the morning. When it forms thick, lower the flame and add the juice with lemon. Then, switch off the flame and let it cool.
Add some essential oil drops you like and keep it overnight. The following morning, clean hair with shampoo. You can use this lemon mask with natural styling gel also. Flaxseeds provide rich proteins and omega-3 fatty acids, which supports to boost thick hair. Also, lemon juice restrains dandruff and increase hair elasticity.
Juice of lemon + water
Use fresh lemon juice, which provides acids that break down the fungus called dandruff. Additionally, it makes your scalp and hair clean and smells free.
- 2-tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 cup Water
- Massage some lemon juice on the scalp and let it sit for one minute.
- Then mix one teaspoon lemon juice into one cup water and wash your hair with this lemon water.
- Do this remedy before taking a shower and repeat it every day.
Lemon juice + Honey + Coconut oil
Heat six tablespoons of coconut oil and mix the juice of a lemon and a teaspoon of honey. Mix well and apply slowly to the hair and scalp. Let this mix rest for one hour and wash with a mild shampoo. This lemon mask prevents dandruff and increases hair growth.
Will Lemon Juice Help in Keeping Your Scalp Healthy?
Lemon provides anti-fungal properties, which can keep your scalp healthy. Furthermore, the juice of a lemon can assist control with oiling emission. Thus, this is again an awesome advantage of lemon juice for hair.
Here are some DIY hair pack with lemon squeeze that can keep your scalp and lock the nourishment.
Lemon Side Effects for Hair
Unscientific evidence recommends that lemons can promote to treat dandruff and dry skin. However, take caution if you have psoriasis or eczema. The citric acid content is stronger and causes skin irritation. You can also stop using if you get itchiness, redness, and increased irritation.
Lemon may also cause Phyto photodermatitis, which causes contact reactions in certain plants. The reaction shows blisters and inflammation followed by dark pigmentation spots on the skin for several weeks. Phyto photodermatitis may affect the scalp when exposed to the sun.
Do a patch test:
Lemon pack patch test lessen the hair root inflammation from Phyto photodermatitis. Use some lemon juice or lemon pack overhand before using in hair and scalp.
The presence of citric acid in lemon can cause the skin to be more sensitive to the sun. Be cautious while using lemon. Use conditioners containing zinc oxide, which helps to protect the hair color from UV rays.
Can Lemon Juice Intake Improve Hair Health?
Lemon contains rich vitamin C, beneficial plant synthesis, and soluble fiber. These nutrients may offer many health benefits, including weight loss and other health problems like anemia, heart problems, digestive issues, kidney stones, and cancer.
No direct lemon consumption increases hair, but it will improve the overall inner health of the body to promote hair growth.
Make sure to follow all cautions while using lemon for hair. If you are allergic or sensitive to lemon, then mix it with other ingredients and avoid applying directly. If you see hair condition not improve with lemon, then consider dermatologist advice.