The process of hair detoxification means removing unhealthy and harmful substances from hair and scalp. You can give a fresh start to your hair cells by doing a detox to your hair.
Detoxing your hair helps to remove the dirt and build-up substances which remain from hair care products. If you don’t remove this sticky layer, then your hair and scalp may not get the health benefits from your hair care. Because the things you apply such as oil or hair pack will end up vanishing in this dirt layer in your hair.
A detox helps to clear the gunk and make your hair cleaner and susceptible to other hair treatment.
According to the dermatologist and other skin experts, having customized beauty care helps to enhance the real beauty in your and provide healthy hair.
In day to day life, your hair come in contact with many things such as pollution, dust, chemical, styling, and sun. Your hair may get a build-up of shampoo, serum, and conditioners which are provided for healthy hair. Gradually your hair becomes lifeless and dull which can worsen your hair health. The accumulated substance layer causes to give unpleasant yellow tint.
Why you need hair detox?
Not only damaged or unhealthy hair needs detox but sometimes healthy hair frequently build-up grime, dirt, and products leftover. Regularly cleaning your hair` is not enough but it needs the detox. After detox, you will feel your hair light and different.
Here are the different ways to detox your hair from oil, dandruff, and chemicals.
Massaging your scalp helps to remove the toxins. Scalp massage is a tradition and easy to way to detox your hair. Massaging your head helps to promote blood circulation which eliminates the build-up toxins from the scalp top layer and remove it from detox organs.
Scalp massage is the best way to strengthen and stimulate the hair follicles for promoting hair growth. It also prevents stress by providing relax feeling after a long day in a busy schedule.
Which Oils to use for scalp massage?
You can do coconut oil massage as it is free from a harmful chemical that found in commercial hair products. A soothing massage with coconut oil helps to detox your hair. It also works as an excellent conditioner for all types of hair. Often hair grooming causes to damage the hair protein.
Additionally, coconut oil is safe and effective for preventing hair thinning. It detoxes your hair and promotes hair growth as thicker and longer. It contains essential nutrients such as lauric acid which helps to stimulate the hair shaft and boost hair health.
As it contains medium fatty acids chain, it is also best for removing dandruff. It also contains powerful antiviral, antifungal, and antimicrobial qualities to remove the fungus and kill the bacteria that may grow in the scalp.
Olive oil is a good enough treatment for hair care. As it contains antioxidants and healthy fats, it can detoxify your hair and prevent premature aging of hair such as breakage and hair loss.
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has contained antibacterial and anti-inflammatory qualities. That’s why it is a good oil for detoxifying hair follicles. You can apply a small amount of tea tree oil in your hair roots and massage gently.
The tea tree oil work to unclog the scalp pores and improve hair follicles and promote blood circulation faster for strong hair.
Exfoliate Your Scalp
Like your skin, your scalp also needs regular exfoliation. Exfoliating your hair helps to remove the toxins, dirt and build-up products. It helps to promote the blood flow by removing dandruff and dead cells from your scalp.
You can make your own exfoliation by using coconut oil, sugar, brown sugar, oatmeal, lemon, and green tea.
Another remedy you can follow with olive oil, lemon juice and sea salt which helps to remove the accumulated substances from hair.
Try using a bentonite clay mask for detoxing your hair. It is a popular remedy for hair detoxification. The clay mask absorbs and eliminates chemicals and heavy substances. When you mix it with water, it removes the toxins from your body and generates an electrical charge. It is a helpful way to get rid of dandruff, eczema and toxin build-up from your body and head.
For best results, add clay with apple cider vinegar and honey. You can also mix it with egg yolk for detoxing your oily hair. Make sure to mix this mask in wooden or glass bowl because the metal container can destroy the healing qualities of clay.
You can mix clay with aloe gel. The clay pulls out the toxins and minerals from your hair with its powerful adverse electromagnetic charge. The aloe gel has nourishing qualities as well as antioxidants that make your hair healthy.
- Bentonite clay powder – 1/2 cup
- Pure aloe vera gel – 1/2 cup
- Apple cider vinegar – 4 tablespoons
- Apple cider vinegar – 1 cup
How to use?
- Mix the all the above ingredients and make a smooth paste.
- Apply the mix on your hair and scalp.
- Use a shower cap and let it for 20-30 minutes. Avoid the mask getting dry.
- Wash the mix out with vinegar.
- Wait for without washing hair for 2-3 minutes and then shampoo your hair and apply condition conditioner.
Lime Juice Cleansing Rinse
Everyone knows that lime juice is a best natural drink to detoxify the body, but do you know lime juice also assist to detox your hair and scalp. As lime juice contains alpha hydroxy acid, it gently eliminates the external layer of dead skin and product left over and boost hair growth. It provides an amazing shine to your hair.
- Lime juice – 1 tablespoon
- Water – 1 cup
- Lavender essential oil – 5 drops
How to use?
- Mix all the ingredients before you use it.
- If your hair gets dry than change lime juice with orange or apple juice.
- Apply the lime juice rinse on your hair and massage your scalp.
- Leave lime juice in your hair for five minutes and then wash with normal water.
- You can use the lime juice rinse as a hair conditioner after shampoo. You can also use in-between while doing shampoo to clean the greasy layer and oil.
Coconut milk is another way to detox your hair. Its creamy texture and natural nutrient properties make it perfect for a hair detox. The coconut milk is a miraculous liquid to protect the body from infections including scalp and hair.
Coconut milk contains a rich number of vitamins such as Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B3, Vitamin B5, and B6. It also has minerals such as selenium, iron, calcium, sodium, magnesium, and phosphorus.
The content of lauric acid found in a good concentration in coconut which turns into monolaurin in the body and works as antibacterial and antiviral properties.
Regular use of coconut milk provides best moisturizing benefits to your scalp and hair, especially for people with dry and itchy skin. A gentle massage and wrapping hair with towel provide excellent nourishing effects. It is especially beneficial for people with damaged, dry and brittle hair with split ends.
Using coconut milk also help to boost hair growth. As it contains essential nutrients, it helps to detox hair.
Applying coconut milk in your hair helps to cleanse it thoroughly and remove the accumulated waste substances. You can make your own shampoo from coconut milk.
- Coconut milk -1/4 cup
- Castile soap – 1/3 cup
- Vitamin E oil – 2 capsules
- Fragrant essential oil – 15-20 drops
How to use?
- Combine all the ingredients well and add it in a shampoo bottle.
- Wet your hair before applying this coconut milk shampoo.
- Massage gently with your fingertips and wash.
- Use the coconut milk shampoo as often as you wash your hair.
Honey and Cinnamon
Detox your hair with cinnamon and honey tonic for your scalp. Apart from detoxifying your hair, the and cinnamon and honey combination effectively help to nourish your hair. If you have slow hair growth or bald patches, then this is the right remedy to try. It will promote your hair growth and get a new hair life.
Additionally, honey is an amazing moisturizer to balance your scalp pH. It helps to prevent microbes and other harmful substances.
Cinnamon contains natural qualities such as anti-inflammatory properties that help to prevent scalp infections. It promotes blood circulation by stimulating hair growth.
- Honey (raw honey) – 1 tablespoon
- Cinnamon powder – ½ teaspoon
- Olive oil – 1 tablespoon
How to use?
- Mix all ingredients and apply on your scalp. Then smoothly massage your scalp and let it remain for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Make sure to use a shower cap and later wash it. Do shampoo it required.
- Look for unprocessed raw honey because it contains a good quality enzyme, antioxidants, minerals, vitamins, and healing qualities. Good quality honey helps to get better hair health.
- You can follow this hair remedy two times a week.
Another Cinnamon Remedy
The second remedy of cinnamon contains olive oil and baking soda.
- Cinnamon – 1/2 teaspoon
- baking soda – 1 teaspoon
- Olive oil – 2 tablespoons
How to use it?
- Mix the ingredients in a pot and mix till you it comes on a smooth consistency.
- Gently massage the mixture on your scalp by making your hair sections.
- Keep it in for 20 minutes and then wash your hair.
- This hair mask helps remove the bacteria and accumulated substances from hair due to the high antioxidant properties and prevent hair damage.
- Practice this cinnamon hair detox mask once a week for excellent results.
Shikakai is the best ancient hair care ingredient in India. It is recommended by many Ayurveda experts for treating hair problem. You can use shikakai pods, bark and leaves which provide rich vitamins such as A, C, D, E, and K. It is the best homemade shampoo to clean your hair. Also, you can make its hair mask and hair oil to get effective benefits.
Shikakai comprises of natural saponins which work for cleansing scalp and hair and nourish it.
- Shikakai powder – 2 tablespoons
How to use?
- You can buy shikakai powder from the market or make your own by drying up the shikakai.
- Add water and make a thin paste of shikakai powder.
- Wet your hair and apply the shikakai paste in your hair, especially in your scalp.
- Massage your scalp for two minutes and apply the paste on your hair length also.
- Leave the shikakai in your hair for one to two hours and wash with cold water.
- You can use shikakai as your regular shampoo.
Sea salt is salt created from the seawater evaporation. Usually, sea salt is used for cooking, food seasoning, preserving food and cosmetics. It is also known as bay salt.
Sea salt is another smart detoxifier for your hair. This salt helps to dissolves the build-up substances and dirt from your scalp. You will require to do a gentle scrub to remove dead skin cells. It is the main reason that many shampoos include sea salt. After doing the first use, your scalp will feel cleaner and healthier. Additionally, your hair will shine and increase the volume.
- Coarse sea salt -1 tablespoon
- Shampoo – 1 tablespoon
- Olive oil – 1 teaspoon
How to use?
- Mix all the ingredients of sea salt remedy.
- Before applying this mix in your hair, wet your hair.
- Gently scrub the mix on the scalp and wash it with cold water to get smooth and shiny hair.
- You can follow this remedy one or two times a month.
Note: Avoid using table salt which has an anti-caking agent and uses only pure sea salt.
Cucumber and Lime
Use lime and cucumber to detox your hair and scalp. It is a soothing detox cure for people with the flaky, itchy and irritated scalp.
Cucumber provides anti-inflammatory and anti-itching qualities which lessen the irritation and redness of the scalp. Cucumber naturally helps to hydrate and moisturize your scalp skin.
Adding lime juice with cucumber detoxing remedy helps to remove the dirt, oil and accumulated product. It will provide you clean and moisturized scalp with soft and shiny hair.
- Cup cucumber – 1
- Lime juice – 1
- Rosemary essential oil – 1
How to use?
- Make a smooth blend of cucumber and add lime juice in it.
- Apply this mix on your scalp by making sections in your hair.
- Massage your scalp and leave it for 5-15 minutes and wash your hair.
- You can use it one to two times a week.
You can use baking soda/sodium bicarbonate for exceptional hair cleanser. It is the reason, baking soda used in several beauty purposes such as toothpaste to shampoo. You will require to massage your scalp with baking soda to exfoliate the dirt and remove all impurities. It provides antifungal and antibacterial effects to prevent dandruff problem.
- Baking soda -1 tablespoon
- Plain water – 1 cup
- Cinnamon powder – 1 teaspoon
- Lavender essential oil – 5 drops
- Almond oil – 1-2 teaspoon
How to use?
- Mix baking soda with other ingredients.
- Take and squeeze bottle and add the mix in it for easy application.
- Before applying, wet your hair and then apply the mix and massage your scalp.
- Wash your hair after a few minutes.
- Don’t forget to apply the moisturizer after washing your hair. You can moisturize your scalp with apple cider vinegar or hibiscus or marshmallow rinse. It will help to seal the external layer for hair and make it super shiny.
- Follow this remedy once in 15 days.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar helps to clean your hair without tearing away natural oils of the hair. It is one of the simplest methods to detox your hair. It effectively works when you use it as a rinse after using regular shampoos(sulfate-free).
Apple cider vinegar contains rich nutrients which help to build luscious locks including vitamin C, vitamin B, and potassium. As it is somewhat acidic, it helps to restore the natural pH of the acid mantle. Having exposure to this acidity helps the outer layer to thicken the hair and make cuticle flat which results in shiny hair which is less prone to snagging or tangling.
- Apple cider vinegar – 1/4 cup
- Water – 2 cups
How to use?
- Mix the apple cider vinegar in two cups of water.
- Do shampoo to your hair and apply conditioner.
- Pour some diluted apple vinegar cider in your hair.
- Make sure not to rinse your hair.
- You can follow this hair detox remedy once in a week.
Honey is famous for preserving features. It serves to keep your hair moisturized and soft. After the primary phase, you will be utilizing honey shampoo instead of chemical shampoo. You will feel the excellent condition in your hair.
Honey is a common sweet alternative for managing a healthy lifestyle. But do you know you can use honey for your hair?
Honey contains hair conditioning qualities, and it is the best ingredient for promoting hair growth.
It provides powerful antioxidant properties which prevent the hair damage and detox your hair and scalp.
Using honey helps to strengthen your hair follicles and prevent hair fall.
Honey also contains antiseptic and antibacterial qualities which help to prevent the scalp infections by soothing problems such as psoriasis, dandruff, and eczema and promote hair growth.
Honey is the best cleanser for hair follicles to removes the impurities which reduce the scalp clogging and prevent hair loss.
The usage of honey stimulates re-hair growth after detoxifying.
- Raw honey – 1 tablespoon
- Filtered water – 3 tablespoon
- Essential oils
How to use?
- Mix honey in water and combine it well.
- Apply this mixture in wet hair. Massage your scalp with your tips.
- Wash the honey shampoo with cold or lukewarm water.
- Optional – You can also rinse the honey shampoo with apple cider vinegar.
- Often use this method for better result.
Green and black tea
Tea is a powerful ingredient containing plenty of amino acids and antioxidant which helps to boost hair growth, softness, and shine. Both green tea and black tea provide cleansing properties, and it can help to detox your hair.
- Black tea – one cup
- Green tea – one cup
- Lemon juice
How to use?
- Prepare green tea and black tea.
- Wait for it to cool down and add lemon juice in it.
- Add this mixture in a spray bottle and spray it in your head, especially in roots.
- After spray, massage your scalp with fingertips and cover your hair.
- Leave it till 20 minutes and wash with cold water and dry it naturally.
Use rosemary shampoo for detoxing your hair. It contains two chemicals such as caffeic acid and rosmarinic which helps to remove toxins from your hair follicles.
- You will need fresh grapeseed oil and rosemary.
- Heat both the ingredients on a low heat for three hours.
- After getting heat, the rosemary will infuse the oil.
- Strain the oil.
- Wash your hair and apply the strained oil.
- Gently scrub and massage your scalp.
What to do after hair detox?
While doing your hair detox, completely avoid your regular shampoo and conditioners and any other hair care products. Again, the chemicals from your hair care product may limit the detox progress. Wait till your detoxification process complete.
Hair Styling and Detox
As your days turn into weeks after hair detox, the change will be visible. It may take a long process while you need to avoid commercial hair care products including heat causing products.
Using flat ironing, blow drying or curling your hair may cause to damage your hair ends and break it. Still, you are unable to set your hair without flat iron or blow dry, then use some Argan oil which helps to protect your hair from heat damage.
During the transition phase, you should use alternative methods to style your hair. Since heat causes damage so try using barrettes, headbands, and bandannas.
If we talk about the old-fashioned method, try making regular braids or French braids before going to sleep. The next morning you will get a nice wavy style in your hair.
Try to dry hair naturally in morning sunlight which helps to protect your hair from damaging.
Aloe Vera Gel
Use aloe vera gel as a home remedy for detoxing your hair. You need to take fresh and pure aloe vera gel. If you are purchasing it, then make sure it is 100% pure.
There will be several aloe vera gels available in the market, but that may not help to detox your hair because of additional chemical usage. You can check ingredient lable to choose the best aloe vera gel.
Having an aloe vera plant in the home garden can be safe to get the aloe vera benefits.
You can also mix the aloe vera gel with baking soda to make a smooth paste and apply it in your hair. Later, wash it completely after it gets dry.
Activated charcoal is another way to detox your hair and eliminate the buildup toxins from the scalp. You can use activated charcoal both way externally and internally. The charcoal helps to absorb the toxins and detox your body quickly by flushing out the fluids.
Having low protein consumption causes hair damage from chemicals. Having a protein treatment helps to reconstruct and restore your hair strength. Proteins are specially designed for restoring hair strength. This treatment should happen under the guidance of a professional to get the right amount of proteins.
Extra Tips to Improve with Scalp Detox
Drinking enough water is important in the detox process. It helps to flush out the harmful toxins and hormones like DHT which contributes to the bald patterns in male and female.
Vegetables and fruits
Adding fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet provide a rich amount of insoluble fiber. It is responsible for absorbing the toxins and boost digestion. Eating fresh vegetable and fruits helps to cleanse the digestive tract and remove waste substances. When you have a healthy digestive system, then it absorbs more vitamins and nutrients which support skin and hair health. You can eat amla, aloe vera, beetroot and ghee for naturally detoxifying your body.
When you need a professional
If you find detoxing your hair challenging or getting worse, then try to make an appointment with a professional. Because some conditions need to treat by experts. While taking help from the salon, make sure to do your research and read reviews. Check the salon website and discuss the experience of hair detoxification.
How to manage freshness of your hair?
Avoid breaking of your hair roots. After detox, still, you need to care your hair enough to have the freshness. Try to avoid the heavy treatment and chemical which affect your natural state of hair and scalp. Do not worry damaged hair take some more time to recover.
Keep doing conditioning with rich nutrients which provide full vitamins. That should be free of sulfates and paraben. Paraben is hair butter and oils for moisturizing and sealing the hair. Don’t forget to have regular trim of your hair ends for healthy hair.
Keep in mind different methods work for different hair types such as the dry and oily scalp. You may also find some hair fall while detoxing your hair, so do not worry because dead follicle hair will fall. Once you completely remove the dead skin and nourish your scalp, you will grow new hair.
Additionally, have a healthy lifestyle by consuming healthy foods, fresh veggies, and fruits, lots of fiber and protein to give essential nutrients to your hair health.
The best you care for your hair, the best hair you will have!