How to Make Mustard
Making your own homemade mustard can be an easy way to get it. There is
also, some variation to follow with the basic mustard recipe.
- 6 tbsp Yellow mustard seeds
- 1/2 Cup Mustard powder
- 1/2 cup Water or Beer
- 3 tbsp Vinegar sherry or white wine
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Ground Turmeric Optional
- 2 tbsp Honey Optional
- 1/4 tsp Minced fresh herbs
Grind some whole mustard seeds in a coffee or spice grinder.
Add some semi-ground seeds into the bowl and add salt. Mix the mustard powder and salt.
Add some water or beer and stir well. When everything is combined, let the mixture sit for 10 minutes.
The longer you leave it to sit, the mustard becomes mellower. It will be ready to pour in the vinegar.
Include the mustard mix in a glass jar and keep it in the fridge. In the beginning, it will be runny and become as thick as you keep overnight.
Wait for 12 hours before using it. This recipe of mustard will stay longer until one year in the refrigerator.
- Varieties of mustard may change the liquid.
- The texture of mustard depends on how you grind it. Do not use complete seeds with powder or skip using powder without seed.
- Add herbs, honey, and different spices according to your taste.
- Remember, you cannot eat mustard instantly. Wait for at least 1-day before using it.
- Mustard needs to marinate and diffuse its bitterness.