Abdominal pain is the most commonly encountered pain by us. Abdominal Pain can be due to many reasons, ranging from cancer to simple indigestion. Abdominal pain is characterized by its position in the abdomen. There are different reasons of different position pains. If the pain is localized to an area, reoccurs frequently and is severe then it’s the time to take things seriously. The pain in the right side of the abdomen is generally caused due to some organ infection or damage and increased gastric acid. This pain does not merely result from wrong postures or muscular injuries instead it is a result of disorders in that particular area.
Right side abdominal pain is not gender specific so it can be experienced by a male or female if they have the disorders. The pain is basically an indication of some major disorder which should be cured by removing the root cause of the disease. Let us see some of the probable causes of right side abdominal pain.
Causes of right side abdominal pain
The treatment of right side abdominal pain starts after knowing the actual cause of the pain. The cause of such pain may be confusing and also the seriousness of the problem depends on the root cause of the disease. Some of the main causes are:
- If the right sided hernias are blocked they cause swelling in the upper thigh and the genital organs of the body. This condition can cause immense pain in the right side of the abdomen. There can be bloating in the stomach and other obstructions as well.
- One of the common reasons may be kidney stone.
- Constipation or muscle pull may also result in right side abdominal pain.
- Right side abdominal pain is the first symptom of liver infection. Liver removes the waste from the body and if it becomes infected then this can also cause abdominal swelling along with pain in the right side upper quadrant of the abdomen.
- False labor can be another reason for right side abdominal pain. False labor generally occurs some days before the actual due date. Ectopic pregnancy in women can be the reason of this right side abdominal pain. In ectopic pregnancy the fertilized egg implants in the fallopian tubes instead of the wall of the uterus.
- The Appendix problem in kids is a general reason for right side abdominal pain.
- Ovarian or abdominal cancer.
Symptoms of right side abdominal pain
- Vomiting, swelling in the upper thigh and genitals along with obstruction in bowel.
- Yellow colored eyes and skin, abdominal swelling.
- Shoulder tips pain, dizziness, vaginal bleeding, and weakness.
- Fever and appetite problems.
- Pain shifts from upper to lower abdomen; sweating and waves of pain can be experienced.
- Abdomen X-Ray.
- Urine, stool and blood tests.
- Ultrasound of abdomen.
- Barium enema.
Treatment and prevention
The diagnosis of the right side abdominal pain depends upon the cause of the pain. The following section categorizes the treatment options pertaining to each cause of the right side abdominal pain separately.
- Surgery of kidney stone: in case of problems such as large kidney stones which cannot pass down, the problem has to be treated with surgery. Kidney stone can be prevented by having a good intake of water and timely discharge of urine from the body.
- Appendix diagnosis: there can be two ways to treat appendix, either drain the fluid or pus through medicines or to remove the appendix by surgery. This surgery is to be done after a maximum of twelve weeks. Appendix can be prevented by including high fiber n the food such as green vegetables and fresh fruits.
- Prognosis for ovarian cancer: the diagnosis of ovarian cancer depends on the stage of the cancer, how well the surgery removes the tumor, the size of tumor and the health and age of the women. Treatment includes chemotherapy, radiation and surgery.
- Hernia diagnosis: hernia is commonly treated by surgery to avoid its recurrence. In some cases due to some medical history of the patient the doctors might treat hernia using methods other then surgery such as by abdominal binders. Hernia is very painful disease and its prevention is possible by preventing the abdominal walls from being weak. In case you are already suffering from hernia you can try avoiding activities which cause inter abdominal pressure such as coughing, straining or lifting.
- Gallbladder treatment: gallbladder treatment is generally done at hospitals. The gallbladder is surgically removed. Also the treatment of stomach cancer includes surgery, chemotherapy, radiation and multimodality therapy.
- Treatment of constipation: constipation is one of the major causes of abdominal pain so the best treatment for constipation is including fiber in the diet. Fiber is made by plants and it is not digested by the system. We should include fibrous fruits and vegetables in our daily diet. Wheat and synthetic methyl cellulose are other sources of fiber. Also drinking water reduces this problem.
Although abdominal pain is one of the most common types of pain but if it continues for more than 3 days then this pain should not be ignored and the best way to cure the abdominal pain is to know the actual reason of the pain. As it can be concluded from the above information there are numerous causes of the right side abdominal pain so the cure of the disease depends on the actual cause of the pain.
The cause of a disease can be detected from the symptoms of the disease. Sometimes the disease may be a minor one which can be easily treated but other times it can be an indication of a life threatening disease. The diagnosis is easier if the early symptoms are recognized timely. Also prevention is always better than cure so bring slight change in your life style will prevent such fatal diseases affecting your life.